History of Eureka Springs
The history of Eureka Springs is fascinating. Native American tales tell of a Great Healing Spring in the Eureka Springs location. Numerous cultures visited the springs for this spiritual objective. The history of Eureka Springs is plentiful.
In the late 1800s, European Americans were one more society to think about the springtimes to have recovery powers. After the Europeans got here, they described the waters of the springs as having wonderful powers. Within a short time in the late nineteenth century, Eureka Springs was changed right into a growing city, health spa, and visitor location.
Dr. Alvah Jackson was attributed in the history of Eureka Springs and in American history in general with finding the spring and in 1856, asserted that the waters of Basin Spring had cured his eye conditions. Dr. Jackson established a medical facility in a neighborhood cave throughout the Civil War and also utilized the waters from Basin Spring to treat his individuals. After the battle, Jackson marketed the sparkling water as “Dr. Jackson’s Eye Water.” The Ozarka Water Company was later on developed in Eureka Springs in 1905.
In 1879 Judge J.B. Saunders, a pal of Jackson declared that his crippling illness was treated by the spring waters. Saunders began advertising Eureka Springs to loved one’s participants across the State and also developed a boomtown. Within a period of little more than one year, the city expanded from a country medical spa town to a major city.
Eureka Springs was incorporated as a city. Hundreds of visitors came to the springs based on Saunders’ promo as well as covered the area with tents and small houses. In 1881, Eureka Springs took pleasure in the standing of Arkansas’s fourth-largest city, and in 1889 it was the second-largest city, behind Little Rock.
After his term as a Reconstruction guv, Powell Clayton relocated to the heavily Unionist Eureka Springs and also started advertising the city and also its business rate of interests. Clayton advertised the community as a retirement community for the rich. Eureka Springs quickly ended up being known for thoughtful living as well as an affluent way of living.
Carrie Nation moved below towards the end of her life as well as founded Hatchet Hall on Steele Street, later operated as a museum, but now shut.
The only bank break-in to take place in Eureka Springs was on September 27, 1922, when 5 hooligans from Oklahoma tried to burglarize the First National Bank. 3 of the men were eliminated and also two others wounded.
In 1967, the popular 7-story Christ of the Ozarks Statue was constructed, as well as a year later, The Great Passion Play began. The Great Passion Play became America’s # 1 participated in Outdoor Drama bringing in at the very least 7.6 million vacationers to the area because of its inception.
Eureka Springs Historical Places
The City of Eureka Springs was founded and named on July 4, 1879. By late 1879, the estimated population of Eureka Springs reached 10,000 people and in 1881, the town was declared a “City of the First Class,” the fourth largest city in Arkansas.
Today, the history of Eureka Springs lives on as the entire downtown area is listed on the National Register of Historic Places with National Significance. While they are nowhere near the 4th largest in Arkansas, Eureka is still a “First Class City.”
The history of Eureka Springs hidden historical points of interest include:
- the 1929 Municipal Auditorium opened by John Phillips Souza;
- the Eureka Underground;
- a civil war hospital;
- famed Abolitionist Carry Nation’s Home;
- houses of ill repute;
- made in Eureka Springs numerous Bath Houses; and
- the site of Marshall Tilgham’s famous capture of the final member of the Dalton gang.
All may be found in Downtown Eureka Springs and brought to life on one of the Main Street program’s walking tours. Eureka Springs also is home to five historic hotels pre-dating 1906, nearly one hundred restored mansions now serving as a bed and breakfast lodging and hundreds of other cabins and cottages that range from summer cottages in 1880 to roadside motor courts of the 1950s.
For its preservation, Eureka Springs has been recognized as one of 12 DISTINCTIVE DESTINATIONS by the National Trust for Historic Preservation and is a certified Main Street. You can enjoy the expansive city trail system connecting this well-preserved one-of-a-kind destination.
In 1980, the architect E. Fay Jones developed Thorncrown Chapel. It won design awards at the time and also in 2006 was chosen for the “Twenty-five Year Award” by the American Institute of Architects. This structure was recognized as having a considerable influence on the architectural profession. As a result of the unique nature of its high quality of design, the chapel was noted on the National Register of Historic Places in 2000.